Have you been arrested or are being accused of a crime? In either of these cases, it would be a wise decision to secure a criminal defense lawyer as quickly as possible. If you wait or believe you don’t need a lawyer, then you’ll likely face the possibility of extensive fines, jail time, and/or a fresh criminal record.
But, wait. If I need a lawyer, how do I go about choosing a lawyer? I don’t want to just call anyone. What if they screw up and I don’t win my case?
Don’t fret. We are here to help. Take a look at some of our sound advice on finding and choosing the right criminal defense attorney for your case.
Do I Even Need a Criminal Attorney?
No matter what the circumstances or how serious, if you are being charged with a crime in Michigan, you should seek the expertise of a criminal lawyer –– especially if you are unsure of what exactly you have been charged with.
A criminal defense lawyer can offer you a consultation, most often for free, where they would discuss what kind of charges you are dealing with, what are the recommended courses of action to consider, and how they can assist you. Even if you decide not to secure a lawyer (at your own risk, of course) at least consult with one instead.
What You Should Look For
Just as you would with any other professional, there are certain things that you should look for in a criminal attorney. Some of these include:
- Experience: This one is a given. You want to find a lawyer who has ample experience dealing with similar cases to yours. They should have substantial courtroom experience and knowledge of the Michigan court system. Court can be expensive so you want an attorney who will make the experience as quick and smooth as possible.
- Reputation: You obviously want a lawyer with a good reputation. They should have good references, reviews, and testimonials from past clients that they served. You would also want to check if they belong to any bar associations, professional organizations, or have received awards in their field.
- Personality: Look for someone who is easy to work with, who will answer your questions plainly and simple, and who is available when you need them. As an added bonus, find someone who has a passion for the areas of law they practice and is confident in their ability to defend you even when the going gets tough.
What Types of Questions Should I Ask?
When you do find a few potential lawyers, make sure to ask questions like:
- How do you charge for legal fees? Are you hourly or do you charge a flat fee? Are you on a contingency basis? Do you require a retainer fee? Are there any additional fees I should know about?
- What types of legal options do I have? How would the court process be for me? What could go wrong with my case? What legal strategies would work in my favor?
- Where did you go to law school? How many years have you practiced law? How much experience do you have working with similar cases to mine? Do you often have to go to trial for your clients?
- Will I only work with you? How often are you available to answer questions? Who else will be involved with my case? How can I contact you? Do I need to make an appointment every time I see you?
Choosing The Right Detroit Criminal Lawyer
If you’ve been charged with a crime, you should definitely reach out to a criminal defense attorney in Michigan, not only for the peace of mind, but so you can get the best possible outcome for your case.
At Marko Law, we not only have the expertise but the results to back up our success with clients who needed criminal defense. We are not easily intimidated, are passionate about Michigan law in and out of the courtroom, and go above and beyond for each and every one of our clients. If you need a criminal lawyer, you don’t need to look any further than us.